August 25, 2020
Subject: Statement regarding AFL changes to the NEAFL 2021
Yesterday, Monday, August 24th, 2020, the Aspley Hornets Football Club Board of Directors received an email notification of the AFL’s decision to amalgamate the NEAFL competition with the VFL from 2021 and beyond.
This announcement was shared publicly via the media shortly afterwards.
While the Board has been working closely with the AFL, and AFL Queensland, regarding how the football landscape will look like in 2021, we were extremely disappointed to receive this email. Being only one of three inaugural NEAFL clubs remaining in that competition, and arguably the league’s most successful club since 2011, we are unsure on how our investment in providing player pathways to the AFL will look in the near future.
The Aspley Hornets Football club has been invited to join the VFL in season 2021, however, in order to conduct our due diligence, the Board of Directors awaits further information from the AFL in regards to; participation details and criteria, the proposed competition structure, rules, regulations and importantly the funding model from the AFL.
This due diligence process will include the impact this will have on our club, the wider community, all financial implications as well as the #ONECLUB culture we have been building over the last two years.
Season 2021 is not far away, and this is a significant change to the way our senior football program operates and requires the Board to review what is being proposed thoroughly.
I will endeavour to provide accurate and timely information about the options presented and our decision as soon as they become available.
Changes to our Gaming room from tomorrow
From tomorrow 12pm our gaming room reopens with a few small changes as we adjust to our new “normal” in stage 3
- Bookings are not required for the gaming room, the team will work to ensure we are able to accommodate members while complying with the room capacity
- Loyalty points & CardIT will be able to be redeemed through the kiosk and cashed at the cashier
- Social distancing measures will be in place, and monitored by the team
- Every second machine will have signage on them to explain they are unable to be played at this time, if you would like to play one of these machines please see a friendly team member who will assist you
- You can approach the bar to order drinks, place keno bets and redeem cash vouchers or Card It
- Gameshows will restart on Wednesday 8th July, you can earn entries from tomorrow for our weekly gameshows.
Conditions of entry that have not changed
- Members can only enter the club through Reception, and exit the same way
- Because of COVID tracking requirements you MUST be a member to enter the club, you can sign up at Reception on the day or online prior to your visit
- We ask that you do not visit the club if you are unwell or showing flu like symptoms
- Bookings are required for dining in the bistro and recommended for Cafe however we can accommodate walk ins if we are not at capacity
As always, the safety of our members & team is our priority. The club will operate under the approved industry COVID safe plan with strict guidelines and restrictions. We appreciate your cooperation and understanding with these restrictions.
From Monday 6th July we have new BISTRO booking times
Sunday – Tuesday: 12pm, 12.15pm, 12.30pm and 12.45pm sitting times
Wednesday – Saturday: 11.30am & 11.45am (1.5 hour booking time)
1pm & 1.15pm (1.5 hour booking time)
Every night of the week: 5.30pm, 5.45pm & 6pm (1.5 hour booking time)
7pm, 7.15pm and 7.30pm (1.5 hour booking time)
You can now approach the bar to order drinks or place a Keno bet. You can also move throughout the venue during your visit however we will still be providing table service for meals in the bistro.
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
Members can only enter the club through Reception, and exit the same way
Because of COVID tracking requirements you MUST be a member to enter the club, you can sign up at Reception on the day or online prior to your visit
We ask that you do not visit the club if you are unwell or showing flu like symptoms
Bookings are required for dining in the bistro and recommended for Cafe however we can accommodate walk ins if we are not at capacity
Give is a call on 0732635522 and chat to our friendly reception team to book your table today
We are very excited to confirm that the Premier has moved Stage 3 to this Friday 3rd July, at 12noon therefore our club member limits will be increasing and our gaming room will reopen!
Our bistro dining will increase from Friday and changes will be made to our booking times now that we can accommodate more members. At this stage we will remain closed for Sunday lunch in the bistro but the Cafe is available to enjoy on our new deck facilities. Premiers Bar opening times remain the same with the limit increased to 30 members (inside) and more on our outside deck facilities.
Our team are working hard to confirm the finer details of the Premiers announcement this afternoon and how this affects us and hope to be in touch with more information tomorrow.
Thank you for your ongoing support,
Danni & the Hornets Team
The Aspley Hornets Australian Football and Sporting Club Ltd would like to advise all of its members and invested stakeholders about the NEAFL 2020 season.
Today the AFL has formally announced that this years NEAFL competition will not proceed.
The impact of COVID-19 on all AFL competitions has created numerous challenges for clubs. Thankfully many forms of the game are restarting over the coming weeks.
Due to the interstate nature of the NEAFL competition and the fact that the four teams affiliate to AFL clubs were not able to participate it presented unique challenges in creating a competition that could run for the remainder of the season.
The Aspley Hornets willingly participated in working with the AFL/NEAFL as they attempted to construct a viable option; however, due to factors outside our control, this hasn’t been achieved.
We are actively working on behalf of our players and where they might be able to play for the remainder of the year, as well as the re-commencement of NEAFL in 2021.
It is a disappointing result for our football community, and the Board and Football Department appreciate the ongoing support of everyone involved with our NEAFL team including players, coaches, support staff, sponsors and our members.
We appreciate everyone’s support over these last months. We hope you will continue engaging with all the remaining teams that will be restarting this year as we reopen the club and bring our community back together.
Due to COVID-19 Restrictions we have launched MemberSafe to help fight COVID-19 and make it easier to visit the club. As per Queensland Health and Government guidelines we have to keep visitation records for 56 days.
Therefore for your privacy, and compliance with COVID Safe tracking we are asking all visitors to the club to join.
For $5.50 you receive great benefits being a Hornets member including:
- Members discount on food and drinks
- 241 Members voucher monthly when you swipe at the kiosk
- Birthday offers
- Loyalty points and much more
This also allows you to sign in and out of the club with ease while COVID restrictions are in place assisting us to ensure your experience is as enjoyable as possible.
We appreciate your support and understanding during this time.
Danni and the Hornets Team.
Due to COVID restrictions we have new conditions of entry for our members, team and guests, we appreciate your understanding and compliance with the following.
Your entry to Aspley Hornets is conditional on acceptance of the following Terms and Conditions:
That I do not have any symptoms of fever, sore throat, temperature or illness, fatigue, or shortness of breath,
That I have not been in the company of anyone exhibiting symptoms as above,
I accept that I will abide by social distancing requirements,
That if requested to, records of members and guest’s attendance will be provided to relevant government departments specifically for COVID-19 tracing, and
Any non-compliance of above or with a direction to move, relocate or leave the venue from non-compliance may result in your details being passed to authorities.
Danni & the Aspley Hornets Team.
BOOKINGS MANDATORY NO WALK-INS ALLOWED
Trading hours for Bistro:
Sunday – Thursday: Dinner from 5pm – 8.30pm
Wednesday – Saturday: Lunch from 11am – 3pm
Friday – Saturday: Dinner from 5pm – 9.30pm
Trading hours for Premiers Bar:
Sunday – Wednesday: 2pm – 6pm
Thursday: 2pm – 10pm
Friday & Saturday: 11am – 10pm
Your “new” Hornets:
- Social distancing is required at all times when in the venue, please be respectful of others and the team
- All areas will be table service only.
- When in the venue you are unable to move between areas due to current restrictions therefore we will be offering our Café menu in the Premiers Bar
- The bistro booking times will be 1.5 hours
- NO SPLIT bills in the Bistro
- You will receive a reminder to vacate your table 15 minutes before the end of your booking time
- You are unable to use loyalty points to dine in the venue until gaming reopens but you will still earn loyalty points on your transactions in the venue
- We are only taking phone bookings at this time
- We ask that if you are unwell or showing flu like symptoms please reschedule your booking to a later date
- When in the Premiers Bar you will be served at your table, you must remain seated unless using the restrooms or leaving. We ask that you do not approach the bar.
- We have strict numbers allowed in all areas, and ask that you work with the team to ensure we are compliant at all times
- Non-contact payment is preferred – EFTPOS but we are able to accept cash payments
Promotions and specials:
- Members vouchers will be available through the kiosk
- You will not be able to cash loyalty points or Card it until gaming reopens in the venue
- Birthday draws and members draws are on hold due to the restrictions on numbers in the venue until further notice
- Birthday vouchers for June will be available from re-opening unfortunately these will not be back dated for the months we were closed
- Dinner specials on reopening are:
- Monday and Wednesday Steak Night
- Friday Reef & Beef
- Roast night is returning to Sundays
- We are re-opening with a smaller menu due to current restrictions – this will be available on the website shortly
- 10% off will still be available for Senior’s at lunch and dinner off our main menu
- Happy hour will be on Thursday and Fridays only in the Premiers Bar
We look forward to welcoming you soon!
May 11th 2020
Dear Hornets Members & Family,
As you may be aware the Federal and Queensland governments on Friday provided an update to the road map for how our country and state plan to start our return to a “new normal” in the coming months.
For the moment while we here at the club work out our re-opening strategy, and what these new stages mean for us we will continue our takeaway and bottle shop services and be adding more takeaway menu options for you to enjoy at home!
Once further information has been received regarding the 3 stages, and how these work for community clubs we will confirm our re-opening plans and look forward to updating you on these shortly.
We look forward to announcing our re-opening and seeing all our valued members and guests in the club soon.
Thank you as always for your patience and understanding.
Aspley Hornets Team